You brush your teeth twice a day, and you floss at least once a day. So why do you need to see a dentist for cleanings? The fact is, seeing your dentist regulary for cleanings does more than just remove plaque. When you see your dentist for a cleaning, you get some added benefits:
1. Prevent gum disease - Plaque doesn't just coat the teeth, it accumulates at and even below the gum line, where your toothbrush cant reach. This cases inflammation of the gums, leading to gum disease. Gum disease can cause irritation and inflammation that can damage and even destroy gum tissue. Gum tissue is important to supporting and protecting your teeth.
2. Keep your teeth - If left untreated, gum disease can destroy that bone that supports the teeth, leading to tooth loss.
3. For a whiter and bright smile - Over time, some food, beverages, smoking, and even medication can stain your teeth, no matter how thoroughly you brush. As a part of your regular cleaning, your dentist polish your teeth to remove these stains, giving you a brighter, whiter smile.
4. Prevent bad breath - There are a lot of things that can cause bad breath. Your dentist can help you prevent many of them.
5. To stay healthy - The fact is, oral health is closely tied to overall health. Not only is it difficult to eat a healthy diet with tooth pain, but heart disease has been linked to gum disease. Protecting your heart and reducing your risk of heart attack and stroke could be as simple as seeing your dentist.
6. To find and treat decay early - No matter how well or often you brush, sometimes cavities develop. Your dentist can find and take care of them before they become big problems, but not if you don't go see a dentist to get them treated.
7. Get the most out of your dental benefits - Many dental plans have low (sometimes NO) copayments. Getting your teeth cleaned regularly will let you take advantage of your dental insurances and avoid more costly procedures down the line.
To find out more about dental care and oral health visit our office Encinitas Dental Center in Encinitas California.
Before and After
Encinitas Dental Center
257 N. El Camino Real, Ste #B
Encinitas, CA 92024